The American Health Council is proud to honor Rolando Rivera, MD as “America’s Best Doctor” for his outstanding contributions to the medical field. A urologist at Gulfshore Urology — A Division of 21st Century Oncology in Bonita Springs, Fla., Dr. Rivera provides high-quality care to each patient he treats. While he has held that position for over four years, he has spent the last 13 years expanding his skills and knowledge in urology, female pelvic medicine, reconstructive surgery and urology surgery.
Since first learning about the surgical field, Dr. Rivera’s interest in becoming a surgeon heightened over time. He eventually developed an interest in the field or urology, which led him to enroll at the University of Puerto Rico — Medical Sciences Campus. After earning a bachelor’s degree in 1992, he earned a medical degree at the same institution in 1996 with Magna Cum Laude honors. That same year, he won the university’s Leadership Award. He later completed an internship at the Brooke Army Medical Center in Fort Sam in Houston, Texas in 1997, and a residency at the University of Florida Shands Medical Center in Gainesville, Fla., in 1999. Dr. Rivera completed a fellowship in female urology, reconstructive pelvic surgery and urodynamics at the University of Miami.
Dr. Rivera’s medical journey includes serving as a staff physician in the Bayne-Jones Army Community Hospital Emergency Department in Fort Polk, La., serving as a contract physician at The Schumacher Group in Beauregard Community Hospital in DeRidder, La., and a staff physician at the 121st General Hospital Emergency Department in Seoul, Korea. Eventually landing at the Gulfshore Urology, a Division of 21st Century, he now practices general urology, reconstructive surgery, seeing patients and administrative work. To ensure that his patients receive high-quality care, Dr. Rivera uses current technology to treat urinary incontinence and vaginal prolapse, and is credited on the 21st Century Oncology website as being one of the first surgeons in Southwest Florida to use the da Vinci Robotic Approach to repair vaginal prolapse by using a minimally invasive approach that is controlled by the surgeon from a console, a technique is proud to successfully execute.. Additionally, is proud to Dr. Rivera aid men and women to treat overactive bladder and urinary incontinence.
Dr. Rivera holds myriad accolades and honors, including being named president of the Urology Society, named the Gerald P. Murphy Scholar in urology, and University of Elect of the Urology Society. He belongs to the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society and the American Board of Urology. In addition to treating patients, Dr. Rivera shares his experiences and knowledge by crafting monthly articles and blog posts on the Gulfshore Urology’s official website, often writing about topics like blood testing, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, urinary tract infection, erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and more. In his free time, he enjoys traveling and exploring the surrounding Florida area, as well as contributing his time to the Bonita Springs Rotary Club. With a successful career at hand, Dr. Rivera looks forward to continuing to grow his practice and expand his skills to treat each patient that seeks help.
Share this entry
Urologist at Gulfshore Urology
- Gulfshore Urology ‘s mission is to provide the same or greater level of urological care to patients that they would receive at the finest academic institutions, but in a more private setting and with a more personal and intimate approach.
- With an emphasis on embracing new technology and training along with exceptional and dedicated staff. They deliver unprecedented care from presentation and diagnosis to treatment and then ongoing follow-up.
- At Gulfshore Urology their goal is gaining patients’ trust and curing them. Their renowned surgeons are experts in their respective fields and practice medicine the way it should be practiced: with warmth, care, sincerity, and respect.
Professional Awards & Honors
- Gerald P. Murphy Scholar in Urology
- UPR School of Medicine Honor Graduate
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- President of Urology Society
- UPR School of Medicine 1996 Leadership Award
- University of Puerto Rico – Graduated Magna Cum Laude
- University of Elect of Urology Society
- ACS Fellow, 2012
- CMS Stage 1 EHR, 2013